Caraway is an alternative K-9 program offered in Edmonton as a site-based program.
The Caraway program offers project-based, child-centred learning, helps students from Kindergarten to Grade 9 make meaningful connections, and provides opportunities for rich conceptual development.
Students are encouraged to:
- Challenge themselves and exceed their own expectations
- Work together in mixed-age groupings
- Learn in a hands-on environment
Parents / families are encouraged to:
- Lend their expertise to the classroom to support their children's learning
- Participate in regular social gatherings
- Join in classroom activities whenever they are available
Caraway takes advantage of the many researched benefits of mixed-age groupings across grade levels. Older students are encouraged to be leaders and help in the learning process for younger students, who in turn thrive on their attention. Students may benefit from having the same teacher for two or three years in a row.
The Caraway program is offered in a classroom environment, five days a week, and is available in Edmonton only.
Since 1975, Caraway has emphasized creative approaches to learning and a strong sense of community.
To find out more about the Community of Caraway Parents Society, please contact Gail Drouin 780-465-1299.